Prev: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this Next: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this

Re: % of front shots - was RE: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: % of front shots - was RE: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

--- B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:

> NOw the high percentage of front shots - is this
> just an artifact of small game board so that it's
> easy to keep the enemy to the front?	i.e. on a
> 40x80 board it would be difficult if not impossible
> for an opponent to get a significant amount of his
> force behind you or to even surround you?

I believe it was tested on several different boards of
various sizes by completely different groups of
gamers.  In addition, as OO said, it reflected RL
statistics for Tanks battles as far back as WWII and
continuing to more recent conflicts.

> If the rules allowed for flanking or surrounding
> maneuver before set-up, would the numbers change?

How would you suggest that be done, just curious?

> If scenarios were designed with unequal terrain

Any scenario that establishes specific pre-existing
conditions that give one side or the other a distinct
advantage is going to skew the results of the battle.
That will be true no matter what armor schemes or
weapons configurations you use.

> One method is to assign points for re-inforcements,
> flank maneuvers, or air/artillery strikes on
> non-front line assets.

That's something to consider.

> For instance, you might be able to purchase drop
> troops that can land near the opponent's off-board
> artillery unit and take it out and then move
> on-board from behind the enemy.

There definitely needs to be an expansion of the rules
dealing with off-board arty -- both CBR and aerospace
attack.

Or call in
> airstrikes or off-baord artillery to eliminate enemy
> Artillery, AA batteries or reinforcements.  Another
> example might be spending extra points to maneuver
> your grav tanks to the flank -

And if your opponent does the same?  It's an idea
worth considering, but I'd be interested to see what
details you can suggest for how the mechanics would
work.

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail