Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: Re: TOE

RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:45:24 -0400
Subject: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

At 8:28 AM -0700 7/3/04, John Atkinson wrote:

>If the S-tank is the one I'm thinking of, it has a
>hydraulic suspension.	So they have a tank and a pump

Tank Destroyer. 4 Roadwheels, fixed main 105mm
gun, 2 forward firing MGs and TC mg.

http://tanks2go.com/Other_Countries/SWs103.htm

>and so forth, and lines running through the hull.
>Adding the doohickeys necessary to do a little
>spoil-pushing or some light earth moving ain't all
>that.	I know there are turret hydraulics in the
>Abrahms, I don't know how easy it would be to beef
>them up to also run a blade.  However, there are
>normally no hydraulics in the chassis, it's all
>turret.  So it would not be a trivial conversion.

Granted, but point being, hydraulics tend to be a
pretty easy thing to add (vs a big front mounted
PTO or something). If the design phase involves
additional provision if needed then all the
better.

I've seen some interesting additions of kit to
some military 2.5 tonners that involved a larger
power steering pump added (yep, 2.5 tons don't
normally have power steering) for powering a
hydraulic winch.

Suffice to say, adding a blade to a line vehicle
can be done on a broader scope.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: Re: TOE