Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:33:23 +0200
Subject: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE

Ryan Gill wrote:

>>A blade is easy to "tack on" but the hydraulics needed
>>to dig properly with them is no joke.  A bladed Abrams
>>might be good for pushing spoil.
>
>I dunno. If it's designed in as a feature and the hydraulic pump is
large
>enough, adding an extra hydraulic component isn't so hard. Look at the
>Swedish S tank. They have a fully retractable blade for digging their
own
>scrapes sans engineer support.

If you want an example showing that "adding an extra hydraulic component

isn't so hard", you'll have to look somewhere else than the S-tank.
While
it shows you is that you *can* design extra hydraulics into a tank if
you're really really determined to do so, it is also an excellent
example
of just how !#!ยค&/# difficult it can be.

According to those Swedish ex-S-tank crew members I've talked to, the
S-tank's hydraulics were very nice on the occasions when they actually
worked as they were supposed to... but unfortunately that wasn't too
often
even in garrison, and of course field conditions made it a lot worse :-(

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE Next: RE: Engineers Was Re: TOE