Prev: RE: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal Next: Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:57:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

I hate to be a poo-poo on this, but this cloaking system would be
completely
useless in my circles.	Especially with the half thrust.  If I could see
those guys
coming I'd hose them down with every plasma bolt in the fleet.	In a
5000
point engagement, if I'm carrying them at all I'm probably sporting
around
fourty
dice worth of them.  If you've actually got enough thrust that I'm in
doubt
as to
where you'll be under cloak I'll fire them in half bursts in continuous
fire
along
the arc you'd have to travel to bring your weapons to bear.  So what if
I've
got
a -3 DRM?  It's not like you're going to be shooting back while you're
still
cloaked.

I'll stick with the regular cloaking rules, with a few house rules to
make
dealing
with area effect weapons simpler.  Our house rules for that go like
this:

1.  Area effect weapons.... simply ignored while cloaked.  (PSB:
phasing
cloak.)

2.  Planets and asteroids... not ignored.  (Our asteroids and planets
don't
move,
so this is easy to deal with.  PSB:  large gravity wells pull you back
into
phase if you
fly that close to them.)

3.  Your _own_ area effect weapons... can't be fired until the next turn
after you
decloak.  Turn rationale is that cloaking and decloaking happens during
the
movement
phase, and you can't write move orders with area effect weapons included
if
you don't
know where you are.  (PSB:  it takes a little while to get your bearings
be able to put
your weapons into an accurate point of space, and the disorientation of
it
is too much to
be able to do it on short notice once you're decloaking.  Not sure how
this
works out
for the turn when you go _into_ cloak, but I guess there's nothing
stopping
you.)

4.  Wave guns... cannot be charged while cloaked.  This balances out the
idea of
charging tons of cloaked wave guns and firing them and then recloaking
protect
yourself from retaliation.  (PSB:  Too much energy buildup and it's
impossible to conceal.)

5.  If you have cloak-capable ships, you _are_ allowed to have them
start
the game
cloaked, as long as you put down a mooring point in space at your start
location on the
board to state where you're tracking from.

6.  Fighters... _are_ allowed to be launched in the act of decloaking,
but
must be
recovered with secondary moves if they're landing, if at all.

This'll also make cloaking systems easier to work with, balances them
out
with area
effects in both directions, while still giving enough of the feel of
submarine warfare that
it's a bit of an interesting game trying to play with them.  They can
work
against you as
much as they work for you, since setting up grandiose ambushes from long
range is
vulnerable to your enemy pulling unexpected maneuvers that put them in
the
wrong place
when you come out of cloak.  However, short cloaks are still rather
effective in tactical
maneuvers if you use them intelligently (and against fast ships, it's
still
a little bit of a
crapshoot, although against slow ones they're just deadly).  Some of
this is
usually
useful enough that they mostly make up for the expense of packing
cloaking
devices
in the first place.

Cloaked carriers have been used before in our games, but over time that
concept kind
of fell by the wayside because even cloaked soap bubbles are still
expensive
enough that
the fighter numbers go down enough that if they're prepared for massed
fighters much at all it
ceases to be particularly effective.

(aka StiltMan)