Prev: [Fiction] More news from the GZGVerse Next: Re: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

RE: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:29:17 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Simple cloaking system proposal

A further idea -

A cloaked ship can be deteced based on the amount of thrust it uses -
PSB is simliar to the new radar that tracks aircraft by the turbulence
they generate in the air they pass through or perhaps passive
IR/radiation sensors that look for "holes" in the background radiation
or sensors that can detect exhaust or reaction mass used as fuel.

So the cloaked player announces how much thrust was used to maneuver
this turn and must roll higher on 2d6 than the thrust number to remain
"cloaked" otherwise his position is given away and may be fired at as if
he were one range band further away to simulate the partial cloak.  This
roll is for each turn, so a cloaked ship can fade in and out of cloak if
it uses too much thrust.

This allows the players full freedom of movement, with a possible
penalty for lots of maneuvers or acceleration.	It emphasizes good early
placement and "doggo" or "ballistic" type ambushes, which seems more
inline with modern type engagements (i.e. Stealth aircraft (most are
sub-sonic), attack and missile subs (most are practically undetectable
at rest, but at full speed are very obvious from propeller noise), etc.)

--Binhan