Prev: Re: Jon T: Further update to PowerProjection.net - Ship Bits, SSDs etc Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW FT SHIPS!!

Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:12:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams

Matt Tope wrote:

>We ristricted the arc's on the weapons on advanced drive ships as we
felt
>it might otherwise penalise those using K-Guns and advanced drives, who
are
>obviously limited to 1 arc with K-3's and above.

There are two reasons why K3s and larger don't get more than one arc:

1) Their base Mass ratings (derived from their average damage per hit)
meant that the mass per additional arc becomes a rather nasty fraction
for
most of them (the only real exception being the K4, which could use the
same Mass progression as the B4 ie. +2 Mass per extra arc), and

2) They're used by the Kra'Vak who have Advanced drives and therefore
don't
really need the extra arcs anyway. If the KV hadn't had Advanced drives,

then we would've had work a lot harder to come up with balanced costs
for
multi-arced K-guns - or even come up with different game mechanics for
them :-/

The only real caveat is that ships with single-arc weapons - including
single-arc P-torps and Standard drives, like the FB1 NAC - need a large
enough gaming area to use boom'n'zoom tactics instead of turn'n'burn
ones.
If the table is too cramped, then the battle will almost inevitably
become
the type of point-blank range dogfight where the wider-arc weapons
really
shine. However, if you're measuring in cm or half-inches you should have

plenty of space to manoeuvre in.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Jon T: Further update to PowerProjection.net - Ship Bits, SSDs etc Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW FT SHIPS!!