Prev: Ship dispositions Next: Re: Ship dispositions

Re: Ship dispositions

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:26:07 -0600
Subject: Re: Ship dispositions

owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU wrote on 12/20/2003 09:49:00 AM:

> I have a spreadsheet which lists all the ship class dispositions from
> FB1.	The numbers show "dangerous ships" to be on as well as popular
> export models.  Not being a naval type I'd like to know what
> Decommissioned and Reserve actually mean in the context of FT.
>
> When a ship is decommissioned is it sold off as scrap?  Or to another
> power (corporate, small nation, etc)?

As there is a separate notation for sold to other powers, that would be
sold-as-functional. I've always thought decommissioned could include
broken
up, pieced out, moth-balled with weapons removed, etc.

> When a ship is placed in reserve is it a combination of moving it to
> training status or mothballing it around a station or a lagrange
point?

I somehow got the idea that the reserve fleet had functioning ships,
similar in concept to the US's increasingly mis-named reserve units.
Whether these could include internal security, training,
moth-balled-with-systems-intact seem speculation.

> About vessels sold -- can I assume these sales are to friendly
nations.
>   Or do these sales include private concerns as well?

The 'fluff' always assumed that private concerns would be restricted as
the size of combat-capable ships. They might buy frigates and the like,
but
a cruiser would seem right out.

Natch, these are mere opinions, and I'm delighted to have fuzzy areas in
the 'lit' to get to keep my opinions as my own.

The_Beast

Prev: Ship dispositions Next: Re: Ship dispositions