Prev: Re: Ship dispositions Next: Best Inkjet Decal Paper?

Re: Ship dispositions

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:43:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Ship dispositions

--- Damond Walker <damosan@comcast.net> wrote:

> When a ship is decommissioned is it sold off as scrap?  Or to another
> power (corporate, small nation, etc)?
>
> When a ship is placed in reserve is it a combination of moving it to
> training status or mothballing it around a station or a lagrange
> point?
>
> About vessels sold -- can I assume these sales are to friendly
> nations.  Or do these sales include private concerns as well?

In wet navy tradition, "Sold as Scrap" is termed either "Scrapped" or
"Broken Up" ("BU").

When sold (or given, loaned, etc.) as a whole vessel for continued use
rather than recycling is termed "Sold" or "Transferred".

"Decomissioned" means prepared for long term storage/preservation
without crew and with the possibility of future use, including future
refitting with new systems.

"Reserve" means with a skeleton (caretaker) crew and minimal operation,
but can be brought to full active status with naval reserve personel
(who train on this vessel during their active periods).

Prev: Re: Ship dispositions Next: Best Inkjet Decal Paper?