Prev: Re: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons Next: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:46:06 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

John, that of course is based on several assumptions:

1) You get local space superiority for several days (a week should be
sufficient to gain a base position in strength) and then can hold
aerospace parity.  Loss of at least Aerospace parity means you will be
strangled into inability to resist - Logistics is #1 in strategic
warfare, right after Reconnaissance.  <VBG>

2) You are not assuming that a force in orbit automatically negates the
land forces' potential	via space to mud attacks.  (I know, every
zoomie's fantasy since at least 1930's.)  If that was so then you would
be playing the old SPI SF games instead of Full Thrust, Dirtside 2 and
Stargrunt 2. <grin>  But that of course is a big issue in the past
discussions.

3) You are not stuck on balkanized world instead of a GZG star-spanning
forces type game.  LOL!

But all that aside, any force of mid-tech plus professionals, adequately
trained and led, should be able to conventionally defeat  low-tech
"People's Militia" unless radically outnumbered and cut off from supply
(I might note the latter is critical IMO.)   And should win any guerilla
war unless the political will fails (I refer to Vietnam where, in
reality, it was won on the field and lost at the table - like the
perennial Israeli problem, only quicker.)

Gracias,
Glenn

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:06:59 -0800 (PST) John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> writes:

>--- DOCAgren@aol.com wrote:
>
>> I would go with 1 Regular Brigade fully staffed
>> 24/7, 2 Regular Brigades,
>> staffed at 30-50% with rest being Reserve Troopers,
>> and 3 Brigades (Read Training
>> Cadre) at 20% to be staffed out with drafted troops
>> ASAP.
>>
>> Equipment wise, the 1 Brigade staffed with full time
>> troops, should have the
>> best money can get top of the line gear, The 2
>> Reserves should mixed of some
>> top of the line, and older gear, and the 3 training
>> units basicly all older
>> gear.
>
>Your Regular brigade would have something like 50% of
>your combat capability, the two reserve units maybe
>20% each, and the training units would be pretty
>marginal.  For one thing, if I'm orbitally assaulting
>you will not have the six weeks to pull in the troops
>and spin it up--I've gone after the armories on Day 2
>or 3.
>
>John

>Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
>http://companion.yahoo.com/

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons Next: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons