Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

[SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:49:03 +1100
Subject: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons

G'day,

> if I'm orbitally assaulting...

While these always sound so much fun in stories and in games (and so I
don't want to see them disappear from those!) in reality how useful
would an orbital assault be and on how grand a scale would it have to
happen? So in WWII (sorry if I butcher the following ancient history is
more my thing) they landed in a few spots and pushed up from there. On
the flip side Europe is a small place relatively speaking and the top
was penned off by Russia. How would you do it in a bigger area? Starting
at a continent scale, how would you do it for the North American
continent or even Australia? Going further how would you do it for an
entire planet, especially one settled for a century or more? Or is this
a case of "in reality you just bomb them into submission and send in
troops to pick off what you want later", which makes for a boring game
so we ignore that and pretend the much more dramatic beach-head style
thing can happen?

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault was RE: Troop Quality was RE: [SG2] weapons