Prev: Re: Scale for SG Next: Dirtside chits

Re: Soap bubbles?

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:46:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Soap bubbles?

Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

> a) Max 6 fighter groups allowed to attack one ship in a turn, but no
limits
> on SMs or MT missiles.
> b) PDS fires twice vs fighters (only), OR once vs SM/MT Missiles.
>
> Currently this idea is out of favour, but I still like it. Requires
> no change to points values, no change to FB1 fleet design philosophy,
> and minimal rules. KISS.
>
> It doesn't solve the problem of soap-bubbles, but it ameliorates it
> a lot, without making small numbers of fighters all that less
effective.

I like the differentiation between SM's and Fighters, although I'm not
sure I
follow the PDS firing twice.

I do like the KISS, and no change to points/designs/etc.

The major problem I see is that it weights bringing the single largest
ship
possible to a game...  If I bring a single SDN and the enemy brings 18
soap
bubbles, I only have to worry about PDS for 6 groups of fighters (With
firing
twice rule meaning I only need half as much PDS) which is a small
percentage of
weight devoted to fighter defense.  If, on the other hand, I bring 3
cruisers,
each one has to bring PDS enough to deal with 6 groups of fighters, (if
it's
possible to mount that much) making them devote a much larger percentage
of
weight to fighter defense.

You know, I just thought of another idea...  Taking a page from Anime,
what
about Frat-a-cide?  Has the playtest list done anything along those
lines?	If
done right, it would drastically reduce fighter/missle pile-up, without
reducing smaller numbers of said being effective.

Rand.

Prev: Re: Scale for SG Next: Dirtside chits