Prev: Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs Next: RE: [semi-OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs (warning future hist ory comments may arise.... ;))

Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs

From: "Kevin Balentine" <kevinbalentine@m...>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:38:39 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs

I'll have to research the cost to build a gas station, I don't have
those
numbers handy. But, the issue isn't entirely the cost, the issue is that
there
are only a handful of hydrogen refueling stations at all. The price
quoted
isn't necessarily to build all-new stations, although it's probably
accurate.
But it's also the cost to convert an existing gas station to a hydrogen
station.

When you build a gas station, you have a built in customer base. Until
that
exists with fuel cell cars, it's hard to justify spending money for a
hydrogen
station. And until there are hydrogen stations, mass producing fuel cell
cars
is a tough sell.

Catch 22.

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>