Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game

[FT] Fighters (AGAIN) was: Operational game

From: Brian Bilderback <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:44:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [FT] Fighters (AGAIN) was: Operational game

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:

> All of this is just off of the top of my head.  If
> anyone actually tries any
> these ideas, I would love to read about how it went.

I was cleaning out my car the other day and happened
to come across a piece of scratch paper on which I'd
jotted some ideas for increasing the effectiveness of
anti-fighter defenses.	A lot of it has to do with the
relationship between PDS and Beam-1's, I sort of went
with the parallel of Beam-1's being similar to the
5-inch guns used by the US Navy for years - designed
for AA, but capable of providing small ships with
limited ship-to-ship abilities.  So here we go, with a
few last-minuter editing adjustments:

First off, anti-fighter fire is divided into 3 types:

1. Point Defense (Defending against fighters that are
directly attacking you)
2. Area Defense (Defending against any fighter group
that enters a certain area around you)
3. Zone Defense (I'd like to come up with a better
name for this.	It covers the current ADFC ability to
fire on fighter groups attacking other ships near you.
 The reason I split  AD and ZD becomes apparent below)

Point Defense:
1. By PDS as per normal rules
2. By Beam 1's requires use of EITHER a Firecon OR an
ADFC

Area Defense (any fighter group within 6"):
By PDS alone at -1 to die roll
By PDS With an ADFC
By Beam 1's with ADFC at -1
By Beam 1's with both an ADFC AND a Firecon

Zone Defense: (per Normal rules for ADFC use)
By PDS with ADFC
By Beam 1's with ADFC at -1
By Beam 1's with both an ADFC AND a Firecon

in addition:
1. Declare and resolve each PDS fire before moving to
the next PDS.
2. A PDS may engage a second group of fighters at a -1
penalty to it's die roll, provided both groups are
attacking that ship.

and finally an idea I just had more recently:
Allow beam weapons larger than 1 fire on groups of
fighters provided:
1.  An ADFC is committed to those Beams
2.  The fighter group has at least as many fighters
left as the class of the Beam
3. The fighter group is attacking within that Beam's
arc
4. The Beam weapon suffers a -1 penalty to the roll.

=====
Qui me amat, amet et canis meum.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game