Prev: new guy on the cometary's corner Next: Re: [SG,DS,FH] unit composition and camouflage

RE: [FT] new guy's campaign game

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:15:47 +1100
Subject: RE: [FT] new guy's campaign game

On Monday, October 28, 2002 3:09 PM, Samir [SMTP:skp@chisp.net] wrote:
> I also have a question. In the Campaign game we are going to use Jump
Gates.
> I was thinking of building a couple of system defense boats with
several
> missile launchers (lots of launchers, to over load the Point and area
> defense's.) to station keep at the jump gate and unload at every
single
ship
> that pops into the system. I also am thinking of using needle missiles
> try and capture as many ships as possible. (to save on building
points)
what
> would the merits or flaws of my ideas be?

I would discuss with all the other players first, in detail, how jump
gate
assaults will work.  Nothing will kill your campaign faster that
annihilating their entire offensive fleet on the first campaign turn.
Especially if you wrote the campaign rules.
Babylon5 jumpgate combat is not a good indication of what will happen
assaulting a FT jumpgate when they don't know what's waiting.

Recommendations:
Attacking ships can shoot beam weapons on the first turn through the
jumpgate, but cannot launch missiles/fighters until the second turn.
Defending ships cannot attack on the first turn of the game due to
surprise
(or: can only attack with beam weapons if they roll 4+ to represent
hitting
red alert).  No crew can stand at red alert indefinately.  They can
launch
missiles/fighters on the second turn.  Up to 1/2 the available fighter
groups can already be in space as a standing CAP.

This will force the defender to stand off from the jumpgate and give you
good fight.  The defender still has the advantages, but it's not
overwhelming.

If you're allowed free fire with missiles on the first turn, the
attacker
will lose nearly every time when they're not aware of the missile storm
waiting as they can't maneouver and probably don't have enough PDS to
stop
them.  This will at the least provoke a restart to the campaign.

Don't bother with standard FB needlebeams unless there are a lot of
them, or
you're lucky.  To disable an average cruiser, you need to take out 5
sytems
(3 firecons & 2 drive hits), which requires about 30 needle beam die on
average.  They're not really a combat weapon; usually only pirates would
bother when attacking merchantmen.
Include "Striking the Colours (MT)" and "Overkill (MT)" as part of the
campaign rules instead.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies - http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/

Prev: new guy on the cometary's corner Next: Re: [SG,DS,FH] unit composition and camouflage