Prev: Re: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again. Next: Re: WW2 weapons

WW2 weapons

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:46:14 -0400
Subject: WW2 weapons

Claus,

You've run across one of the SG2 controversies.
The basic game makes crew served weapons
fired as if they were fired under firecontrol, and
the typical reading of the rule is that you roll QD
+ n x FCD (Fire Control Die) where n is the
number of weapons firing. This tends to make
for inaccurate but high volume fire if using basic
fire control on 4 x .50 HMG.

Most of the people I know who've had
experience/knowledge of AA artillery (modern)
in the real world have suggested that it is fairly
dangerous to infantry (Anyone doubting this
should try to locate a copy of the CF training
film "small arms in the anti-aircraft role" which
shows a PIVAD firing on a simulated column of
vehicles and infantry). No slow traverse, no
reloading, lots of cutouts of men or soft
skinned vehicles litterally sawed in half. I know it
scared the crap out of me as a gropos and I
fervently hoped NEVER to have to assault an
ADA position.

Anyone who has seen Vietnam films of combat
during Tet and has seen the little quad M2HB
mount firing knows that a main job of the crew
was to keep it fed with ammo (which it
consumed prodigiously) but anything on the
downrange side was in a world of hurt. Yes,
individual shot accuracy wasn't that high. Big
freakin deal, when you're putting out that much
firepower and rounds are possible ricocheting
around too and the round itself will go through
a tree or a small berm and a hit in the hand
can (sometimes) kill from shock.

I believe the following is how I would handle
your situation:

For quad infantry support weapons (MGs etc)
being fired over standard sights (no fire control
systems! and a sighting system and some locks
on the traverse and elevation don't count in my
books), roll QD + n x FP dice.

If the weapon is something like a 20mm HE
firing weapon, it is rightly a vehicle mounted
heavy weapon (IIRC it was on a wheeled chassis
or perhaps an X mount). In this case, roll QD +
n x FCD where n is the number of barrels. This
type of system may well have traversal issues.
OTOH, if it hits, I'd consider applying a single D8
impact to everyone in the squad (sort of like an
artillery round arriving). This would cover the
effects of HE, splintering of nearby rocks/trees,
and the high ROF. It has a lower chance to hit
than the HMG, but effects everyone in the squad
if it does (or at least gets a roll to affect
everyone in the squad).

That would be my approach. Yes, it makes the
US halftrack with the quad M2HB or some
german multiple-MG mounts rather ugly. But if
you're going to attack one of these as infantry
without using at least a light tank for cover,
you've got issues. Better to call for some arty
or the every-present USAF and RAF ground
attack craft (if later war Western Europe).

Hope that helps.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [SGII][WW2] Here we go again. Next: Re: WW2 weapons