Prev: WW2 weapons Next: [SG] Maisto Vehicles

Re: WW2 weapons

From: Claus Paludan <cpaludan@w...>
Date: 20 Oct 2002 19:55:34 +0200
Subject: Re: WW2 weapons

søn, 2002-10-20 kl. 18:46 skrev Thomas Barclay:
> Claus,
>
> You've run across one of the SG2 controversies.
> The basic game makes crew served weapons
> fired as if they were fired under firecontrol, and
> the typical reading of the rule is that you roll QD
> + n x FCD (Fire Control Die) where n is the
> number of weapons firing. This tends to make
> for inaccurate but high volume fire if using basic
> fire control on 4 x .50 HMG.

Yes, what striked me was that theres was "paying" rules for constructing
your vehicles with multiple weapons, but nothing about firing them later
on.In my book it doesn't have to be accurate - it should work in a
manner that makes sense to how the weapon works, ie high volume fire ;)

[...snip...]
> vehicles and infantry). No slow traverse, no
> reloading, lots of cutouts of men or soft
> skinned vehicles litterally sawed in half. I know it
> scared the crap out of me as a gropos and I
> fervently hoped NEVER to have to assault an
> ADA position.

Must have been a scary sight indeed!

> Yes,
> individual shot accuracy wasn't that high. Big
> freakin deal, when you're putting out that much
> firepower and rounds are possible ricocheting
> around too and the round itself will go through
> a tree or a small berm and a hit in the hand
> can (sometimes) kill from shock.

Yes, I remember the scene from SPR where they turn the twin 20mm gun
against the soldiers climbing on the tank - one of them sorta
disintegrates.. would have been even worse if a flakvierling was firing
at them ;)

> I believe the following is how I would handle
> your situation:
>
> For quad infantry support weapons (MGs etc)
> being fired over standard sights (no fire control
> systems! and a sighting system and some locks
> on the traverse and elevation don't count in my
> books), roll QD + n x FP dice.

Yes, makes sense!

> If the weapon is something like a 20mm HE
> firing weapon, it is rightly a vehicle mounted
> heavy weapon (IIRC it was on a wheeled chassis
> or perhaps an X mount). In this case, roll QD +
> n x FCD where n is the number of barrels. This
> type of system may well have traversal issues.
> OTOH, if it hits, I'd consider applying a single D8
> impact to everyone in the squad (sort of like an
> artillery round arriving). This would cover the
> effects of HE, splintering of nearby rocks/trees,
> and the high ROF. It has a lower chance to hit
> than the HMG, but effects everyone in the squad
> if it does (or at least gets a roll to affect
> everyone in the squad).

Yes, that might be a way to do it - but it would still be difficult to
hit anything, considering the fact that we still roll with a D4 as FCD,
but then again, we can just shift the die one or two times up if the gun
seems to have no effect.

> Hope that helps.

Indeed it did! I haven't had any RL experience with those kinda guns (or
any gun for that matter) so it's hard to figure out how to make them
work, besides what I think is logic, ie a LOT of damage when two or more
barrels are firing at the same area with a huge amount of lead ;)

--
Mvh
Claus Paludan

Prev: WW2 weapons Next: [SG] Maisto Vehicles