Prev: Cloaks & Subs (close enough) was Re: Fleet structure Next: Re: Cloaks & Subs (close enough) was Re: Fleet structure

Re: Fleet structure

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:07:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Fleet structure

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:05:20 -0400, Jerry Acord <acord@imagiware.com>
wrote:

>Naturally any model / comparison breaks down at some point.  But I
think
>(and I'm no military expert by any means) the basic idea behind the
>comparison is valid.

Note that the More Thrust cloaking rules has a very serious problem: the
cloaked ship does _not_ get any kind of feedback as to whether or not he
made
an error in his orders. I played them and my opponent made a simple
error on
the first turn: he wrote an "S" for starboard instead of a "P" for port.
The
rest of his cloaked maneuvers were based on that error. When he
decloaked and
moved his ships, he found he was nowhere near where he thought he was.
His
fleet was pretty much toasted. The cost of the cloak was seriously over
priced
for what he got, and probably even if he hadn't made the mistake.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart