Prev: Re: Fleet structure Next: Re: Fleet structure

Cloaks & Subs (close enough) was Re: Fleet structure

From: "Damond Walker" <dwalker@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:23:44 -0400
Subject: Cloaks & Subs (close enough) was Re: Fleet structure

> Depends on how you play cloaking.  If you can't detect a cloaked ship
and
> they can't attack from cloak, then it's not the same.  Of course, you
can
> fiddle with the Cloaking rules to make a simulation of submarines (eg
> "cloaked ships can detect targets out to 24 mu and identify them at
18mu;
> non-cloaked ships can detect cloaks within 12mu and get a firing
solution
> within 6mu" or something similar) but that's changing the feel from
> "baseline" FT quite a bit ... which is not what I think the original
> question intended.

    True (in regards to the original post but I was responding to the No
Sub. assertion).

    I hear what you're saying and while I agree it isn't the same I
think
it's close enough to be a playable simulation as it stands -- especially
when looking at the rest of FT as a baseline.

    You could take the SFB approach to cloaks and say "when firing on
'cloaked' ships simply double the range" but that doesn't bring forth
the
tension of slowly being hunted because you can visually inspect the
sucka
comin' at ya.  Which, to me, is part of the appeal of using cloaks in
the
1st place.

Damond

Prev: Re: Fleet structure Next: Re: Fleet structure