Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?

Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:48:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players

--- Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@abacom.com> wrote:

> It will allow to have different "Feel" for a
> specific game : instead of all
> player creating the best vehicule possible, they
> will instead have to buy
> some from a list, each list having some advantage
> and disadvantage.

Ummmm. . . the permutations of the vehicles possible
are functionally endless (I'm sure OO could calculate
the number of all possible variations, but I'm frankly
not inerested).  Limiting them is BAD.

Besides, good tactics can overcome mediocre vehicle
designs.  It can't override outright BAD decisions
(like multiple HEL/1s on a main battle tank).  Fer
instance, OO has conclusively "proven" that stealth is
a bad idea.  However, it fits in with the higher-tech
outlook of my Romans (as well as a sensitivity to
casualties--limited number of good Greeks and
Armenians to go around) so I keep using it.  I win
anyway.

Of course, IIRC he also claims I use an underpriced
fire control system.  :)

> Also, when trying to convert player from other
> gameset, you could just use
> a list that fit best the race they like to play in
> their other game. Ex: If
> we had a "Stealthy and Fast guys" list, you could
> just convert any Evil
> empire eldar player more easily.

So how do you handle different doctrines and
organizational structures?  Stealthy and Fast guys
that use Sov-style organizational structures are going
to be vastly different from Stealthy and Fast guys
using UK-style organization.

> Each list could have some restriction on the number
> of vehicule type
> allowed (ex: you need to have X vehicule of a given
> type to have Y vehicule
> of another). There could even be some discount for

Why?  That's straight up silly.

Suppose the force you're playing is an adhoc
kampfgruppe built around an AA battery with odds and
sods from everything from militia horse-mounted scouts
to a trio of heavy tanks scrounged from a vehicle
repair depot and crewed by maintinence personnel?

> "Big infantry transport guys" : Those have big
> infantry transport with lots
> of armour (like the droid carrier tank in StarWars
> EP1) and of course, lots
> of infantry. Drop the grunt and let them do the
> dirty work.

Eaten for Lunch.  Big infantry transports = lots and
lots of very dead infantrymen. Plus they have little
to no antiarmor capability or ability to attack
anything.  Purely defensive.

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?