Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?

Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?

--- Barry Cadwgan <bcadwgan@fl.net.au> wrote:

> Well, I don't know if it's 'real' slang, but
> 'treadheads' is a good one for
> armour crews.  It certainly works for wargamers who
> like armour.

Treadheads is a fairly common US Army one.

> Artillery branch people are often referred to as
> 'redlegs', but I _suspect_
> that may be only US army slang. (I think that was
> due to a uniform
> differentiation, red stripe on the trousers)

In the 18-mumble pattern uniforms, coastal and field
artillery had red stripes on their trousers, which
distinction continued until this century.

However, the term actually refers to the horse
artillery batteries which wore red canvas leggings.
Those were the most commonly seen artillery during the
Mexican War and that's when the term originated.

John

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

Prev: Re: [DS2] Spoon Feeding SciFi Genre to players Next: Re: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?