Prev: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: hills and deserts and rivers

RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

From: John Sowerby <sowerbyj@f...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:19:13 -0400
Subject: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

>I say the same thing as Laserlight: with only 3 quality levels, there's

>simply no way you can cover the entire spread from WW2 to OGRE and
retain
>any flavour within each time period... if a modern fire control system
is
>"Superior", then the very best stuff available in WW2 might rank as
good
>as "Basic" by standing on its toes and stretching as high up as
possible -
>and that leaves no grading for the OGRE's systems. And so on for the
other
>types of tech systems (guns, mobility, armour...).
>
>So, well... I'd concentrate on getting each time period "feel right"
>within itself rather than attempt to make WW2 "feel right" when pitted
>against modern or SciFi stuff :-/

Yes, this is the way. The T-34 had lousy gun sights compared to the
German
tanks, for example.

I wonder if the best thing to do is to play a WWII game, set up to show
the
difference between the sides. Then take the best tanks of the period,
and
knock down their abilities (fire control in the main, and weapon grade,
and
maybe tweak the armour). Then play them against a modern force. Works
very
well if the same player plays the WWII stuff in both.

For the next step, knock down the modern stuff, and play against the
future
stuff. Then finally, play a 'classic' Dirtside II game.

John.

---

Prev: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: hills and deserts and rivers