Prev: [SG] SMS Counters Next: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:35:17 +0200
Subject: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...

Beth wrote:

> >In fact, it would kind of be ideal if the stats between
> >scenarios kind of reflected how much better an Abrams is than a
Tiger,
> >and how much better a Bolo MkIV is than an Abrams.  While
> >someone would be more than welcome to participate in
> >all three games, it shouldn't be necessary for them
> > to appreciate the goodness that is DSII...
>
>The only hot potato may be reflecting the resolution within an era as
well
>as keeping it between eras. The place to start may be to sit down and
decide
>what you want in the scenarios. Sorry my knowledge of modern military
>history and weapons tech is still poor so don't grimace to much as I
take a
>ham fisted swipe at this (Oerjan would be the person to get help from
I'd
>say)

I say the same thing as Laserlight: with only 3 quality levels, there's
simply no way you can cover the entire spread from WW2 to OGRE and
retain
any flavour within each time period... if a modern fire control system
is
"Superior", then the very best stuff available in WW2 might rank as good
as
"Basic" by standing on its toes and stretching as high up as possible -
and
that leaves no grading for the OGRE's systems. And so on for the other
types of tech systems (guns, mobility, armour...).

So, well... I'd concentrate on getting each time period "feel right"
within
itself rather than attempt to make WW2 "feel right" when pitted against
modern or SciFi stuff :-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: [SG] SMS Counters Next: RE: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions...