Prev: Re: [SG] Buildings Next: Re: New GZG Photo Gallery

Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG/DS] Unit Size Definitions

> Not true of the US during the American Civil War.
> The standard company size, on paper, was 100 men.
> This was often achieved when a new regiment was
raised > during the war.
-------
Well, I was talking about reality, not theory.
The 'paper' strength includes the 'ghost' paper
troops and the non-field depot troops.

> Volunteer regiments, both north and south, had a
> "standard" of 10 companies, giving a regimental
> strength of 1000 men, not 600.
-------
I would submit the photographs by Brady as being
a better source of reality, I have not seen 100
man companys in his work, about sixty is normal.
The only regimental photo is 10 Co. of sixty men.

Agree, the states frequently did with what was
available.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [SG] Buildings Next: Re: New GZG Photo Gallery