Prev: RE: Re: [SG & DS] Vehicle construction questions Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:40:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

At 4:17 PM -0400 6/26/02, Flak Magnet wrote:
>Yes, prezactly.  I'm glad you said what I meant more clearly than I
did.

>Are cloth belts still in modern use?

Well, they work in M1919s and in Vickers. So, if anyone is still
using them for heavy fire support roles (for the Vickers especially,
given they don't have to change barrels nearly as often as the air
cooled MGs do) then likely they could still be in use.

I have seen footage of Indian and Pakistani troops using Brens,
Enfields and FALs. Likely they still have some Vickers knocking
around as they are nearly indestructible and, given a truck load of
ammo and water, can fire all day and all night as long as the teams
keep adding water, swapping belts, (occasionally changing barrels)
and holding down the trigger.

South Africa converted theirs to 7.62 and used them at least until 1988.

Oh, here's a really good example of cloth belts for the Vickers.

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/collection/collect46.jpg

The nice thing about cloth belts is that you can turn them out with a
basic cloth loom machine. A bit easier on the budget vs stamping out
metal links. In a very limited industrial economy, such a means of
feeding a weapon is pretty good. Additionally some weapons can fire
cloth belts or metallic link (some M1919s) with equal ease (mostly).

The problem with cloth belts (aside from fixed length) is that when
wet, they swell and that they can rot. However, metallic link can
rust. Taking a freshly wet belt and placing it in the sun will dry it
out. A rusted pile of links are just garbage. The proof against
rotten belts is dunking the lot in ATF or a similar light oil. Such
keeps the action cleaner and prevents rotting.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: Re: [SG & DS] Vehicle construction questions Next: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers