Prev: Ye Olde Chitless Game and SG figs and engineers Next: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones

Chitless Game

From: "Tom Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:18:12 -0400
Subject: Chitless Game

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net>

>1" washer (with space in center for penny) is
>used to place squad leader on. Serves dual
>function of illustrating who is squad leader and
>provides extra space for other indicators.

I find that my figures already have an identifiable squad leader.

--> Tomb: Not ours usually. Or at least, only by pose/equipment. And not
everyone gets that.

I'm having problems envisioning this, Tom. I wouldn't have thought a 1"
washer would have enough room for a penny and the figure.

--> Tomb: Figure on penny. (all mine are) Penny can now sit in the
middle of 1" washer. On bottom of penny/figure, Q and LDR represented.
Washer has about another 1/4" on all sides to texture/flock, etc. Worst
case, I have to go to 1-1/4" washer.

>Wounded... ideally wounded figures like the NSL
>wounded figures. Maybe I'll work on making
>some for the other nationalities.

How would you make them?

--> Tomb: Take a few figures, and go to work with putty, dremel, files,
saws, etc. to get some new "dead" figures. Only need one wounded and one
dead pose. Then mould and cast same.

>Suppression would be a penny with a small
>crater on it. Several of these could indicate 1-3
>suppressions, place around the unit.

To save space, you may want to make markers with 1, 2, and 3 craters,
denoting different levels of suppression. (Personally, though, I like
the single crater markers as they are easier to add and remove.)

--> Tomb: Concur.

>The only tough one is confidence. I like the
>"bare washer" (CO), some "low grass" (ST),
>"med grass"(SH), "high grass and shrubs"
>(BR), "discarded gear" (RO).

I recommend different coloured grass, as it may be hard to tell at a
glance "low grass" from "medium grass".

--> Colour is more of an issue in my groups.

>The only other counters that I want to represent
>that I can think of:
>1) an overwatch counter - maybe a range stake
>on a penny placed in the direction the unit is
>watching....

What's a "range stake"? What does it look like?

--> White or orange toothpick sticking up from a mound of dirt. Maybe a
couple of bands on it.

>4) Dummies - Shrub on a base.
>5) CDMs - Can make these on a penny easily
>enough.
>6) Buried mines - Same. Easy to represent on
>a penny.

How _would_ you represent a buried mine or CDM on a penny? A CDM would
look like a little claymore mine or something? What about a burined
mine? Just a patch of earth with a mound on it, or would you make a
little disk that looked like a round mine lying on the ground?

--> Tomb: Claymore -- CDM. Something on a couple of small legs. Normal
mine, burried. Take penny, apply some putty, flatten it out. Then apply
a small mound in the center. Flock the outer part, leave the inner part
painted the colour of turned earth. (Yes, I know you try to hide the
mine... But this is just a reference counter!).

>7) Lettered markers. Dummies which, when
>turned over, contain a letter marker on the
>bottom.

Dummy markers for mines are indistinguishable from dummy markers
representing hidden squads, etc. in SG2. You'll want to write "mine" or
"CDM" on some, too. Once flipped over replace with the required marker.

--> Maybe a plastic surface on the bottom you can write on with
watercolor markers. Then they are "multi purpose".

>19) Sniper - sniper figure

Jon now makes a Ghillie suited NAC marine figure. I bought a couple of
these to use with my Japanese Corp Mercs as the figure looks "generic"
enough.

--> OUDF sniper is good too. Though he is standing.

>22) Panic - dunno.

Spare gear thrown away? That's what you're using for routing, isn't it?
I'll probably go with rocks to denote confidence so this might work for
panic.

--> Maybe a yellow lifejacket for the figures? (*grin*)

Eureka makes Special Forces figures. These look pretty good (I have 40
of them primed). They come with a variety of heads. Two or three head
types are police SWAT, and a couple are definitely special forces with
balaclavas. However, there are one or two that have typical US style
kevlar helmets. These would work well (though, being
Eureka, they are a little on the big side compared to regular SG2
figures).

--> Tomb: Think I'm still waiting for pix aren't I? :)

The mailing list is supposed to be attachment free. You should post them
to a web site (there are plenty of guys on the list who would host it
for you if asked), not send them as attachments.

--> Tomb: Attachments EVIL! As is HTML, RTF, etc. Plain text only
please!

Prev: Ye Olde Chitless Game and SG figs and engineers Next: Re: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones