Prev: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees Next: Re: Fighters

Re: Fighters

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:17:00 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Tomb wrote:

> Fighters:
> Nice idea Randy. Only one question: How do you differentiate "evading"
> from "coasting" fighters? Chit? Counter? Small half-ring for the base
> post? I may actually try this one out. What weapons would you allow
> engagement from? I'd be tempted to say beams and torps. Maybe Subpaks
> too (these seem like viable anti-fighter weapons). Thought I'd say
each
> of them could only kill either on six or limit kills to 1 fighter per
> weapon.

I'd guess it'd be better to have some way to mark the "coasting"
fighters
because I assume most fighters will still want to be evading most of the
time, and especially when up close to the target ships which will just
make keeping track of an additional counter more complicated.  That's
probably the biggest flaw with this idea, another counter to keep track
of.

My original thought was that beams would attack just like beam 1's in
PDS
mode, but with the appropriate number of dice for range.  This would
make
it imperative for fighters to be evading at close range.  One thing the
fighter player has to account for as well is keeping endurance to
survive
leaving the fight and getting back to the carrier alive.  It might make
sense then to have your carrier closer to the fight, which might make
some
of the FB carrier designs more useful with all of their "unnecessary"
armaments.

Prev: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees Next: Re: Fighters