Prev: Re: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: Re: Fighters

Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:50:30 +0100
Subject: Per request: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

----- Forwarded message from Charles Taylor
<nerik@monkslode.fsnet.co.uk> -----

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:12:17 GMT
From: Charles Taylor <nerik@monkslode.fsnet.co.uk>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Varient Alien Fighters was: [FT] Tech Trees

In message <20020205202919.GA6715@firedrake.org>
	  Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:
[snip]

> That's fair enough; S'V seem to be the first thing to come up in
> most mixed-tech discussions. I think, though - and this _is_ untested
> gut feeling - that part of the cost of systems is predicated on the
> other systems one can use with it. Kra'Vak don't get attack or torpedo
> fighters, for example; if they did, this would create a new tactical
> situation unlike that which one meets when facing attack fighters _or_
> Kra'Vak.
>
> Or to put it another way: a Phalon fleet has a distinctive flavour
which
> a human fleet with PBLs and Pulsers would not.
>
> Roger

Well, I have considered Kra-Vak fighters that are equivalent to human
torp fighters, but with KV-style weapons (a sort of mini-MKP pack).

Ok - heres what I came up with:

Vo'San ("Hunter Sliver of Mother") MKP fighter UN codenam KANE

Attacks, vs. ships can attack with a mini-MKP pack, range 6 mu, roll
1d6: 1-3 = no hits, 4-5 = 1 hit, 6 = 2 hits (no re-rolls).
Each hit does 3 damage points, 1 to armour (if any), remainder to hull.
Can only be used once - then the fighter must return to its carrier to
re-arm.

Against fighters it has only a light weapon, kills 1 fighter on a roll
of 6 (no re-rolls) c.f. attack fighter, torpedo fighter.

Cost: depends on how we factor the Ro'Kah effect, I've considered 3

1) The normal Ro'Kah effects apply - making these extremely effective,
so cost should he high (say 8-10 per fighter)
2) Due to the 1-shot nature of the weapon, the Ro'Kah rage only slightly
affects the weapon (say, +1 to the d6 roll, so 1-2 = no hits, 3-4 = 1
hit, 5-6 = 2 hits), but still has its normal detrimental effects
(expends all remaining CEF). Cost = 6-7 per fighter.
3) Assume that pilots of these are trained to automatically Ro'Kah, with
the effects being factored into the stats - Cost = 5-6 per fighter.

A varient of this is this:

Ti'San ("Fight Sliver of Mother") Scattergun Fighter UN Codenam KUL

Functionally this is a Ko'San hull with the mini-MKP pack replaced with
a mini-scattergun. The scattergun is functionally identical to the
ship-mounted one (its mass was reduced by making it fixed-mount, as it
is aimed by manoeuvering the fighter).

Effect: the fighter can make 1 attack that is identical to a scattergun
attack in all respects (except that its range cannot exceed 6 mu in any
circumstance). Once used, the scattergun can only be re-loaded upon
returning to the fighters carrier. Although it can be used against
ships, it is intended for use against fighters, missiles, etc.
These fighters are often deployed as 'roving scatterguns' providing
cover to fleet ships whose own scatterguns are insufficient.

Again, the cost depends on how we factor the Ro-Kah effect, with the
same 3 options:
1) as 1) above, same cost.
2) similar to 2) above, Ro'Kah adds +1 to the scattergun attack roll
(whatever it is being used on), Cost = 6-7 per fighter.
3) as 3) above.

Other possible Kra'Vak fighters are:

Da'San ("Swift Follower of Mother") UN codename KAR
Funtionally a Fast Fighter with Kra-Vak fighter attacks and Ro'Kah
rules.
Cost: 4 per fighter.

Si'San ("Roving Sliver of Mother") UN codename KIT A Kra'Vak Long Range
fighter. Cost: 4 per fighter.

Well, its a suggestion :-)

For miniatures, I suggest using the Ra'San miniatures, possibly
converted with a box-structure added to the front, and the side pods
being cut down a bit.

Well, what does anyone think?

Charles

--

Prev: Re: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: Re: Fighters