Prev: Re: Military Police - uniforms, etc. Next: Re: [Paint] Magic Wash ink

Re: Military Police - uniforms, etc.

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: 02 Apr 2002 13:23:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Military Police - uniforms, etc.

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 12:41, Ryan M Gill wrote:
> At 12:35 PM -0500 4/2/02, Tomb wrote:
>
> Standard uniforms plus shoulder tabs/brassards or arm bands. As they
> are NAC, I'd say you be sure you differentiate from the Airborne guys
> with a scarlet vs maroon beret. I've seen some pics of WWII Brit MPS
> with several things making them stand out. US MPs I've always seen
> with White bands and MP on a Helmet.

For reference:	The MP on the helmets went away with the steel pot and
liners.  Unless something changed since I got out in '98.

> Depends on what they are doing. If they are coordinating traffic
> headed to the FEBE, then they could be more lightly armed. Ideally,
> I'd place an extra rifle or two on the jeep nearby or slung on one of
> the guys.

Nope, nowadays they take all the toys/guns.  One team (three MPs) has a
LMG, SAW, Automatic Grenade Launcher, two rifles, one rifle-mounted
grenade launcher and 3 pistols each, oh, and a truck.  Some units have a
HMG per squad (or even truck).	(I avoided listing nomenclatures for
those who are likely to be ignorant of what they are, acronym
clarification available free upon request.*grin*)

> They are part of the Divisonal Command organization. They go in with
> the HQ just like other support elements do.

When I was in Germany (1995-1998) there was at least one Airborne MP
company.  Not hearsay, I saw them, resplendent in their berets and every
swinging richard wearing jump wings.  Rumor was that they were being
reduced to "legs" and that the unit jump status was going away.  I don't
know how that shook out.

> Or they'd be at a moderately rear area junction.

MP's in a "peacekeeping" or "humanitarian" mission (at least the three I
was part of) were more "foreward" and active than other units that were
participating in the mission (in Haiti this caused the infantry
commanders no end of frustration as they were "reduced" to perimeter
guards).  Likewise, in such mission, MP companies were maintain in alert
status as quick reaction forces more like Mechanized infantry than MPs.
So "forcing" MP's to be involved can be as simple as the scenario
(dissident riots, etc) or a break through in the lines that only the
MP's are in a position to attempt to delay until reinforcements can be
brought to bear.  Of course, the initialconcept of moving prisoners to
the rear is perfectly valid as well, and much more likely in a
full-blown conflict vs. a humanitarian mission.

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: Military Police - uniforms, etc. Next: Re: [Paint] Magic Wash ink