Prev: Re: Mines ? Rats ! Next: RE: Reading Request.

Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:48:18 -0500
Subject: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

At 9:08 PM -0800 3/31/02, John Atkinson wrote:

>Because in the United States Army, we have 1
>regulation, AR 670-1, which covers uniforms.  As near
>as I can figure, each Brit regiment just sort of makes
>it up as they go along.

It depends on the prevailing conditions. During WWII, there were
standing orders stating that unit, brigade, battalion and division
flashes/signs/insignia/badges weren't to be worn. Pretty much over
the course of WWII various units ignored the orders to a larger or
lesser degree. Such that re-enactors have their own little fields of
study when it comes to identifying a particular soldier in a photo as
belonging to say, the 51st Highland division, 153rd Infantry Brigade,
5th Bn Black Watch just from little bits of felt on his BD shoulders.
Due to the amount of road signage that the 51st HD left, some people
took to calling them the 51st Road Decorators...

Still, one has to find some humor in the whole attitude. The current
trend in British units that have resisted being amalgamated or
disbanded would give congress, the Joint Chiefs fits and most of the
brass not working in _that_ formation.
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |	       |	   |
	| O--=-  |	       |	   |
    1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo

Prev: Re: Mines ? Rats ! Next: RE: Reading Request.