Prev: Re: Recon, Scouts and Battle Phases Next: Re: FT: FTL Smorgasboard

FT: FTL Smorgasboard

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:51:59 -0800
Subject: FT: FTL Smorgasboard

Recently several different concepts for means of FTL travel have been
batted
about, and I must admity I've enjoyed it.  At least 2 different methods
struck me as at least plausible, whether or not they're actually
attainable.
  For that I thank the list's resident science whizzes.  Just a quick
observation & question:

Most Science Fiction backgrounds takes one of these methods of FTL
travel
and base an entire naval & commerce culture on it.  Has anyone ever
cotemplated a fictional background where 2 or more of these different
methods are ALL available?    Each method has it's own particular
technological requirements, benefits, drawbacks, etc.  How would this
variety of choices be viewed by ship designers?  I'm guessing that
different
methods might be attractive for ships designed for different purposes
(Naval, commercial, private/luxury, pirates, raiders, smugglers, etc.).

There's the ball.  Run, list, run!

3B^2

Prev: Re: Recon, Scouts and Battle Phases Next: Re: FT: FTL Smorgasboard