Prev: Re: DS: More Dropship ?'s Next: Re: We Were Soldiers

Humourous annecdotes, was Re: We Were Soldiers

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:04:41 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Humourous annecdotes, was Re: We Were Soldiers

Quoting Tomb <tomb@dreammechanics.com>:

> [Tomb] Familial anecdote: My Grandad fought with the British
> (Scottish)
> 16th HLI through some of the uglier parts of the war (Somme, Pursuit
> Mons, a few other notable battles - IIRC).

My uncle was telling us that my grandfather (royal engineers for most of
WWII)
started this story with "I was on bomb disposal.."

"I didn't know you'd ever done bomb disposal?"

"Well, we called it that. You sneak up to the bomb, scrape the sand out
from
around it best you can without moving it, then you go dig yourself a
slit
trench. About as far back as you can throw a good sized stone..."

He did mention a few times things like climbing about under bridges to
plant
explosives while under fire, but failed to elaborate...

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: Re: DS: More Dropship ?'s Next: Re: We Were Soldiers