Prev: Humourous annecdotes, was Re: We Were Soldiers Next: RE: OT: ATTN: Jon (GZG)

Re: We Were Soldiers

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:37:24 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: We Were Soldiers

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:49:01 +0000 Roger Burton West
<roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> It is certainly the case that many people in the UK dislike any sort
of formal friendship with or support for the Japanese, because of the
actions of the Japanese forces in the Second World War. Mostly it's
not people who were there, any more; it's their children, who had to
live with the aftermath... <

Same in Australia, although confined more to the wartime generation, I
think. My mother -- sister of two men who fought the Japanese and wife
of another -- disliked and distrusted them years after WW2 ended; she'd
seen and heard of too many horrors from prison camps, etc., and she was
not inclined to anything more conciliatory than a live-and-let-live
attitude, but always remembering to "keep your powder dry."

A child of the 50s and 60s, I don't hate the Japanese (and I had the
occasional argument with Mum over that), and I haven't brought my sons
up to, either. In the way of these things, they may have a less
tolerant attitude than I do, due solely to what they have discovered
for themselves in reading history. Never underestimate the propaganda
power of historical texts...

Phil
----
Gravity is a Downer... So let's go flying!

Prev: Humourous annecdotes, was Re: We Were Soldiers Next: RE: OT: ATTN: Jon (GZG)