Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 23:20:35 -0500
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

John Atkinson wrote:

> --- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
>
> > If that is the sole reason then you're mistakenly
> > chopping off half your
> > viable work force. Women have been working side by
> > side men in scientific
> > research stations for decades
>
> Hrm. . . Could I find 10,000 women with that kind of
> self-control?  Possible, but I'd want to enforce it.
> Maybe a 1- or 2-year contraceptive implant?

It really depends what kind of colony is being set up and how long the
men are going to be there.  If they are only there long enough to set
things up before spending time at home between missions, and no mission
is much more than a year or two, sending only male workers and a much
smaller number of prostitutes may just work out.  If the workers are
also the colonists, you may just want to send married men and schedule
the conjugal visits so that all of them are visited by their wives, at
reasonable intervals.  Once most of the infrastructure is up, the women
come to stay.  One of the more important resources of a colony are
children, unless future immigration is not an issue.

Some colonies established for religeous reasons (you can bet that whole
communities of Amish, Mennonites, Doukhabours, and Mormons would sign up

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[