Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Boarding actions

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:30:02 -0500
Subject: Boarding actions

A couple of points:

1) PA for combat vs. PA for DC/Engineering:
Engineering PA will be armoured somewhat -
sufficient to run the risks of penetration an
engineer might face in ops around damaged
ship bits. It will be fitted with a standard tool
mount which has power and control feeds (or
more than one). It will have probably a
_greater_ strength boost than conventional PA,
although a slower reflex enhance. The way it
would use the strength is a gradual application
for lifting or jacking, not in HTH or breaching.
Engineering PA might have a laser torch or
welder, a plasma cutter, some demo packs, fire
suppression gear (ugly for an infantry guy they
get close to), power drills, etc. Plus of course
some nasty crushing manipulators. I wouldn't
even give Engineering PA _close_ range. Close
range is from 10m to 40/60/80/100/120m
depending on unit quality. Sorry, but a plasma
torch does not have that range. I'd let their
weapons work ONLY in CC. And I'd give them
the +2 die shift (good CC weapons) but no dice
doubling. D10 armour sounds reasonable. I
don't supposed they'd have 2d12" movement,
but I'd want faster than a walking man
(especially if I'm the casualty clearing guy).
2d8" would be what I'd give them (8" base, like
light infantry).

2) I just saw an episode of Andromeda last
night (two actually) where they faced "Magog
Swarmships" - boreing boarding	fighters.
They'd land, and start hammer drilling their way
through your hull to inject boarding parties.
Probably BS, but it looked good. :)

3) Would you really fight evac'd? (Yes,
probably, but...). That means that you either
have to sacrifice your atmosphere (good god,
but do you carry that much spare LOx
aboard?) or remove it from the compartments
with a suction pump/airlock kind of system. ALL
COMPARTMENTS. This makes the ship design
significantly more complex I'd say. And it would
not be the case if you were surprised, certainly.
I'd have my crew wear vacc suits, but I'm not
sure if I'd be depressurizing if that cost me one
atmosphere load for the entire ship! And if you
do try to suck up all the atmosphere, how long
do you think that would take? My guess would
be evacuating fair sized cabins might take 30
minutes!

4) In traveller, ships crews used to make
extensive use of shotguns, snub pistols, and
lasers. They didn't want large explosions that
might damage key systems (most of the time),
so usually explosive projectile chuckers and
PGMPs and FGMPs were out. They didn't want
overpenetration in most cases either because
of the risks of atmosphere leakage.

5) Also, you have to think that the defending
crew has control of the ships computers and
can vary the grav plates, and any system that
can compensate for X gees of thrust must be
able to exert X gees in the direction of its
choice. Imagine flipping floor and roof plates
back and forth beteen +4G and -4G at about
0.3 Hz. Something tells me the enemy boarding
party won't like getting slammed from celing to
floor (each impact being about the equivalent
of dropping 800-100 kg a distance of 6-8
feet). Not to mention any internal anti hijack
systems (shrapnel charges, pop-down
weapons, microwave or EM fields - pulse EM
weapons to kill attacking PA, etc).

6) Rating sailors. Hmmm, although it is
tempting to suggest (as a gropo) that all
sailors get a yellow-3 chit in SG2 terms, it is
(admittedly) unfair. Only most of them... :)
Seriously, most sailors would get a green chit in
boarding combat. But not all. Senior POs and
anyone who composes the normal boarding
party (On Canuck ships, there are no Marines,
so we have a bunch of crew members trained in
boarding actions with rifles/pistols/carbines and
led IIRC by the Bosun - who I think has keys to
the arms locker). These guys should rate blue
chit quality as they are very well trained for on-
ship combat actions. So even if you have
Marines, some of your other crew can argue for
Blue chits. The question is can you get them to
anything better than improvised weapons.... it
depends how sudden the boarding action is
and if anyone could get weapons to them. As
someone pointed out, who has weapons will
vary from Navy to Navy and probably with the
level of alert.

7) I'd rate a normal Vacc Suit at D6, and a
combat Vacc Suit (non PA Marine gear) at D8.

8) Boarding actions:
In order to board, you'd need to:
1) stop the ship from manouvering
2) stop the ship from shooting

#1 is accomplished by:
Killing the main drive (and presumably jump
drive) or by having a Bridge Hit core system
result.
#2 is accomplished by:
Killing all facing weapons (see point 1 as to why
this is not all weapons) including (or perhaps
especially!) PDS, or by said same Bridge Hit
core system result.

At that point, it should be a matter of matching
vector (something computers can do far better
than human gamers....) and then grapplying
(magnetic grapples? penetrating grapples?
tractor beams?) or sending out boarding troop
carriers (pods, torpedos, fighters, whatever).

If you have a Bridge Hit, I'd suspect _all_
onboard systems are offline, including the grav
plates (zero G!), the anti-hijack system, etc. So
you'd only have to deal with crew. But hatches
might also be a lot harder to open if you aren't
wearing PA (they may all auto-lock when power
goes down). If you just knocked out weapons
and drives, boarding will be a much uglier
prospect!

Also, note that once boarded, some locations
should be designated as points where 1) an
explosvie charge will disable parts of the anti-
hijack systems and 2) places where your
computer intrusion guy can interface and
attempt to suppress the ship's defensive
programs. These are key points, and always
defended. They also make for some focus to
the boarding action. Oh, and don't forget to try
to get the bridge or engineering, as they may
be rigging the ship for a big bang.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON