Prev: Re: M-3 SMG? Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:04:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >Assuming your laser, your computer, and your
> >high-speed ninja electronics fuze all three work.
>
> Hmm. Copperhead. Hellfire. MFSS. Javelin. AN/TVQ-2.
> Things are getting more sophisticated. Mortar rounds

> are getting even more high tech. I'm sure some folks

You've always got a "stupid" backup.  Copperhead is
nice, but there aren't many left, they aren't in
production, and DPICM is a proven alternative.
Hellfires are launched off helicopters--they don't
have some of the same concerns ground combat units do
(like getting slammed around the back of a track
heading crosscountry or getting maintained by a
private with a GT 95).	Javelin isn't quite as
complicated either--and frequently goes deadline
anyway.

God, but you sound like a 2LT.	"I read it in a book
so it must be TRUE!"  That's been the theme of a lot
of your posts over the past.

> were saying the same thing about the US's
> first Proximity Fuzed anti-aircraft rounds in WWII.
> "You mean this
> fancy doo dad is going to know when to explode next
> to one o' them
> nazi planes???   Sheeeit..."

Radars are pretty simple.  Now.  What was the failure
rate in WWII?

> *shrug*  If you really don't want light anti-armor
> capability in your
> weapon fine. Do you also not want the ability to
> reach behind cover?

You keep telling me it's got anti-armor capability.  I
point out that it MIGHT take a BRDM, but not anything
bigger.  And if I've got BRDMs running around, then a
.50 cal has quite adequate anti-armor capability.  As
for reaching behind cover, Mk-19s or M-203s do quite
fine, thank you.  And yes, in my platoon there are two
.50 cals, and 2 Mk-19s.  What more do I need,
especially while running around on a breach?

John

Prev: Re: M-3 SMG? Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON