Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: gas giants

PDWs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 04:29:46 -0500
Subject: PDWs

IANACSMP[1] but:

Okay, I'm not going to do anything but ask a
question or two here and suggest one outlook
in which the PDW might make sense. Of course,
if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone (and odds say
his initials will be J.A.) will leap up and burn me
from my pulpit.... :)

The lastest generation of PDWs (like the 4.6mm
one from H&K) are supposed to offer a small
firearm capable of some moderate range,
some decent penetration, quite a few shots,
and provide this in a small form factor that is
light, easy to carry, and easy to keep 'out-of-
the-way'. The FN90 is a bit on the large size of
that, and this class of weapons has been
represented in past by certain "specialty"
pistols with autofire and stocks and such and by
SMGs. But now they're getting smaller, lighter,
and I believe more dangerous to armoured
targets.

Now, are they a replacement for an AR? No.
But if you're an armour crewman working in
confined spaces, a medic working in confined
spaces, or some supply guy, etc., the fact that
the PDW is small and easily portable may be a
greater factor. It offers a better capability than
pistols for ranged combat (I believe) and
therefore is an improvement on the pistol as a
sidearm. And isn't that the function (more or
less) of the PDW? It's meant for those kind of
soldier that aren't primary combatants (on the
ground). Armour, aircrew, medics, etc.

Yes, you can argue that the AR is a better
choice. Sure. In a fight. But if 95% of your job is
non-combat, and what you do is important
(getting supplies to places, patching people up,
driving a vehicle, etc), then if you do try to
make the AR work, you may only be causing
yourself grief for a questionable benefit.

The whether or not to carry an AR or PDW issue
is sort of like the "do engineers expect to see
recce elements" issue. In a perfect world, no
one would need more than a PDW in the
secondary or tertiary military branches. In a
perfect world, engineers would never see
enemy recce, they'd be dead. In the real world,
there are times that these folks might like more
firepower or that engineers might see enemy
recce. These kinds of things sometimes happen
even if they are a "bad thing".

But that doesn't invalidate the value of a PDW. If
I had a job where my options were 1) carry an
AR and impede my primary taskings 2) carry
nothing (or a pistol) or 3) carry a PDW and get
some capability and a good ability to execute
my primary non-combat taskings, then the PDW
would start to look pretty good.

Don't look at it as a replacement for the AR,
but look at it as a replacement for the sidearm.

And I don't know about John, but I'm pretty
impressed by the ability of the 5.7mm round
used in the FiveSeven and the FN90 to
penetrate ballistic armour. I bet if it hits an
unarmoured target, the bullet probably just
punches a hole and does not do much damage,
but even a shot through the arm or leg can be
disabling. Overpenetration would be a danger in
urban environments (I can see cops not using
this kind of round), but versus armoured
targets, it would make a lot of sense.

>From my conversations with Los, I get the
impression most of the SF involves close range
work and instinct shooting. A lot of work with
the "secondary" (pistol) and the M4. The
principal concern here I believe is manipulability
in urban situations, accuracy in closer-ranged
shootouts, and the weight. Now, operating
outside in a desert, they might well choose a
different weapons loadout, but for a lot of ops,
the M4 makes sense. At the ranges they work
at, and the way they shoot, it probably doesn't
matter that max range is less.

Like most things in life, it is about picking the
right tool for the job. And everyone would
always like to have every capability available:
range, accuracy, silence, penetration, tissue
damage, etc. - but sometimes choices need to
be made and weight and manouverability are
not small factors in these calculations.

Tomb.
[1] IANACSM - I am not a currently serving
military professional

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: gas giants