Prev: Re: Idiots that run off at the mouth withou actually having a clue. Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 02:45:37 -0500
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

At 7:09 PM -0800 2/1/02, John Atkinson wrote:

>You know, we just had a discussion wherein it was
>claimed that safeties on pistols are bad because
>people get too nervous to use them properly in combat.
> Now you want some dumb 18-year old private to lase a
>target, adjust his computer and act as a mini
>artillery piece?  Bullshit!

As opposed to a spotter keying in a code and lasing a target. Or a
mortarman adjusting fire in the correct direction in a battle? Or a
grenadier giving the correct windage? Or a LT reading his GPS unit,
correctly identifying a target and

>Actually, they carry rifles in the US Army.  Not
>enough M-4s to go around.  And they have a number of
>SAWs and M-240s as well.

Yep full sized M-16's. That fits real nice in the fighting
compartment of that M-1 Abrams. Right in there next to the driver.
And the Gunner doesn't have a problem at all of getting to his M-16
when getting out does he?

Also note, "some armies". The US isn't adopting the PDW concept as
far as I know. Other armies. Some have adopted them for spec ops due
to more compact size and higher magazine capacity.

But you're right. FN doesn't know anything about predicting the
prevailing winds of armament technology. They were completely wrong
in their prediction of the general adoption of 7.62x51mm and the
design of the FN Mag. And their FN Minimi is completely off base for
what the US or any other nation needed when they did their bid for
the weapon.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: Idiots that run off at the mouth withou actually having a clue. Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON