Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: mercs

Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:19:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

Alan Brain wrote:

>I was astounded to see the RSwArmed Forces use BMPs.

If you had seen how well-funded (NOT!) the Swedish armed forces are, and

compared their funding with how much they paid for those several hundred

BMP-1s, then you wouldn't be surprised at all :-/

Sure, the BMPs aren't the best vehicles available, but they're a LOT
better
than soft-skinned roadbound trucks - and the purchase cost for a
soft-skinned road-bound trucks is likely to be higher than that of a
refurbished BMP-1...

>  MT-LBs I can understand, they're good vehicles.

Except for an unfortunate tendency to spit out all the cog wheels from
the
gearbox every now and then <g> Also, although the BMP-1 doesn't have
very
good armour it still has more than twice as much of it as the MT-LB :-/

>That RPG-7 on steroids that is their main gun is I suppose OK, but IMHO
>14.5 would be better.

Agreed.

>Hell, so would a Charlie Gustache. Your opinion?

Nope - not for the *vehicle's* armament; you have to dismount to fire
the
CG. The squad carried inside the BMP has at least one CG though :-)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: mercs