Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: DS2 Duh on Aerospace/VTOL Design

Re: mercs

From: "Brendan Pratt" <bastard@o...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:04:26 +1100
Subject: Re: mercs

> Actually it was a Labour Government IIRC, but could be wrong
> The Liberals are in power now.

Sorry to contradict - was/is the same Liberals we have now - however,
the
Government wasn't really to ones that made the call to sieze the goods -
it
was done bycustoms and would have taken an act of parliament to prevent
the
siezure...

> Rules when gunrunning through Australia:
>
> a) Don't consign them to destinations in our backyard.
> b) Don't send equipment so huge (helos etc) that we can't ignore it.
> c) Seven times Never ship unsafe ammunition!
> d) Don't get caught.
> Of these, the most important is c). The rest is forgiveable,
excuseable
> or plausibly deniable with time. But c) ruins your reputation, you
> come across not as canny crooks, but as unprofessional and dangerous
> clowns.

I believe that it would have been possible to ship the Helos to PNG with
little paperwork, but the ammo? Sandline is not a recognised body under
any
UN treaty that I could think of - I did ask the Canadian High
Commissioner
here in OZ when he passed through my shop at the time - he roared with
laughter and said that this sort of thing happened all the time - next
time
they might try it through another commonwealth country with very strong
policing and some of the individuals might get extradited to face
criminal
charges.

 Brendan

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: DS2 Duh on Aerospace/VTOL Design