Prev: Re: Interstellar Shipping Next: Re: Letters of marque

Re: Re: Letters of marque

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:49:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: Letters of marque

There's a big difference between pirates and privateers.  Privateers are
supposed to return the captured ship and cargo to a prize court (there
are a
few legal exceptions), where it is awarded according to marinetine law.
Typically, the state that issued the Letter of Marque took a sizeable
percentage if it was found that the prize was taken in accordance to
marinetine law.  The whole process often took months or even years and
involved the captain of the ship that took the prize, the owner's of
that
ship, the owner's of the prize ship, and the owner's of the prize cargo.

For a good little book on this subject, try "The Prize Game" by Donald
A.
Petrie, published by Naval Institute Press.

ias