Prev: Re: Re: Letters of marque Next: Re: Letters of marque

Re: Letters of marque

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:51:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Letters of marque

--- "K.H.Ranitzsch" <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:
> I have a bit of problem with pirates, letters of
> marques and privateers in space. Historically,
> ...financed ... by selling their booty and prizes.

A long time ago, in a campaign far away... This
problem
was addressed.

Against pirates, letters of marques and privateers is:

1) The massive size of any powers fleet of warships.
   In a 'survey' I conducted a couple of years ago
   for the GZG-'Pedia, the average size of a 'system'
   force was 150+ major power FTL, 100 minor power
FTL,
   30-60 small power FTL ships (In every colonized
   system.).
2) The direct jump to the destination planet by the
   shipping industry tends to preclude the act of
   piracy, due to the number of warships around
   colonies.
3) Sensors have an nearly unlimited range in the
   game, allowing the intended target to accelerate
   to reach so area where 'proctection' is available.
4) To make a profit on the act, one must have a
   'fence' to funnel the 'booty' into a colony thru
   the normal channels.

> This requires that you capture them reasonably
intact. >...victim to surrender at the first shot or
... use >boarding actions. The chances in space for
either of
> these to happen successfully seem a bit slim...
In favor of piracy could be:
1) Very high value cargo in the interstellar trade.
2) Most of the governments in space have a tradition
   of being VERY bribeable/dishonest. (This would
   include the UN.)
3) Piracy can work if the number of warships per
planet
   if a reasonably small number, the range of sensors
is
   limited, and the freighters need to make a long run
   to the Edge of System (EOS) to avoid the systems
sun
   prior to making the system to system jump.

A sample pirate ship could/would include:
A high thrust (T=6+)
Armor (protection from defensive fire)
Jammer/ECM (delay detection as long as possible)
A crew 3 to 5 times the norm.  (to allow for losses
  during capture, and prize crew.
The use of MT EMP missiles would be an advantage for
  capture of a freighter, since not real damage
occures.
The use of MT torp fighters modified to carry boarding

  parties is a useful and inexpensive method of
  transporting/boarding the freighter.

Bye for now,
John L.

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: Re: Letters of marque Next: Re: Letters of marque