Prev: RE: (SGII)12" disk grinder? Me? And the Civet Next: Re: Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR

Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR

From: "Tomb" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:58:51 -0500
Subject: Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR

Okay,

For those who thing the Basques don't fit in the NFR, I may concede.
However, consider this:

In 2183, space expansion has made it feasible for splinter groups to get
away from overbearing governments they don't like which is usually a
plus for them AND for the government that wants these pains in the butt
gone.

The Basques, falling into the FSE, would certainly be unwelcome by the
predominant French/Spanish government of the FSE. And they wouldn't like
it. Now, some would want to continue the fight for Basque independence
and be tied to the land. That I agree with.

OTOH, it is obvious the trend in world history is back towards
supernation blocks. So they're _really_ bucking the tide. If offered
some help to resettle "some other place" that was decent in terms of
resources and future potential where they could have a freer hand to
promote their culture, would they go? I would think some would.

The NFR is a canon-mentioned area that includes several worlds. They go
into rebellion against the FSE and fight several major campaigns against
them. This suggests some real annoyance with the FSE. Now, the French
can annoy anyone (not just Full Metal Atkinson) if they try, so that has
to be factored in.

But who would occupy these planets who would dislike the FSE government?
I was thinking of all the people who might be candidates. Basques,
Quebecois, some other French militants. Some classic Spaniards. People
from Lousianna perhaps? Maybe people from islands like St. Pierre de
Mikelon (sp?). French colonials? Etc.

The NFR isn't "my nation", but I'm following the GZGpedia trend of
staking out something to work up :). I'm more than glad to take some
input. The other interesting reason for working on this nation-state is
that it got to go toe to toe with the FSE which lets me use my Legion
Etrange Coloniale and my FSE fleet in a historical context that is a
little unusual.

So, anyone with more comments on this is welcome to talk to me directly
or generate some more comments for the list. Compared with threads on
Damascene swords, the colour of Iridium, and the glories of Piquet, this
is positively on-topic. ;)

Tomb.

Prev: RE: (SGII)12" disk grinder? Me? And the Civet Next: Re: Basques in Spaaaaaace and the NFR