Prev: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT]Unpredictable AI) Next: why small ships

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:11:52 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

> --- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:
> > Besides, is it truly politically acceptable NOT to
> > have a human in the
> > loop of a weapon of (mass?) destruction?

In general, no for normal, HELL NO for mass.

> > Do you
> > think it will BECOME
> > acceptable?

In general, no.

The trouble with questions like these is that they are
too general. For example:

"is it acceptable to stab someone with a knife".
In general, no. In the case of qualified surgeons in
an operating theatre, performing an operation on
a consenting patient (not stabbing each other in a
knife fight), then that's another matter. Even a
non-qualified surgeon doing an emergency tracheotomy
on an unconscious and choking victim.

I've actually helped build weapons where after a certain
point, there is no man-on-the-loop. The human makes the
decision ("Things are happening too fast for me to react
to, there are no friendlies in the way, time to hit the
PANIC FIRE button.") and then the system acts like a
rabid pitbull on steroids. It's positively scary to see it in
a simulated mass attack. Instead of "IDing - Tracking -
Weapon Allocated - Weapon slewing - On Target -
Engaging - Kill Assessment - re-Fire - Kill Assesment"
 its ITWSOERRRKITWSOERRRK to do not 1 but 8
engagements on 2 different targets in the time normally
spent just allocating a weapon.

Prev: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT]Unpredictable AI) Next: why small ships