Prev: Re: 2nd CanAm Next: Re: Painting FT models

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:19:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

On 13-Jun-01 at 16:12, David Griffin (carbon_dragon@yahoo.com) wrote:

> --- Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:

> But if a PDS can hit the fighter, even if it has
> to do it at that instant (and a type 1 beam) then
> the targetting problem isn't unsolveable. Any number
> of PDSs can target the object according to the rules
> along with all the type 1 beams. So the only
> thing that would stop a type 4 beam from shooting
> would be something to do with the actual type 4 beam
> weapon (size, traverse speed, etc.). It seems pretty
> artificial to assume that humans of 2150 can't figure
> out a better way of building a multi arc weapon than
> building a big piece of metal with guns sticking out
> that slews around using massive motors. I don't know
> how FT is *supposed* to work, but that's all I can
> think of.

Just as a counter example, if all weapons were of the
same type they used as a planet buster in SW there is
a delay between telling it to fire and having the
beam appear.

I guess what I am really saying is the current system
isn't broken, it doesn't need to be fixed.

Point defenses work on large ships.

To allow small ships _some_ defense, even if it is
usually not very affective, allowing 1s to fire as
substandard PDSs is an elegant solution.

Prev: Re: 2nd CanAm Next: Re: Painting FT models