Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

Re: Painting FT models

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:39:28 EDT
Subject: Re: Painting FT models

> From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl>
> Date: 2001/06/13 Wed AM 07:43:27 EDT
> Do you mount them on
> the stands and paint them while so mounted? Do you mount them on
something
> else, during painting?

I paint them on the stands. The metal stands with some of the models
need to be painted anyway.

If you like the plastic black colour, you can do what I did with some
smaller FT ships and some Silent Death ships. You cut out some newspaper
in a four pointed star shape. You put the figure in the middle, fold the
paper upwards, and then tape the paper to the top of the stand. It
covers up all of the stand, though it can make it somewhat unstable.

I just mounted some FT ships last night. The plastic stands have that
little stem on the top. I trim that off and drill a hole for the size of
the top of the shaft. That way instead of it attaching to a small stem,
it's attached directly to the main shaft of the figure. You could simply
drill the hole, paint the model off the stand, and then glue the stand
to the hole later.

> Oh, and on a somewhat similar issue, how do you transport them? I base
all
> my figures on magnetic bases for transport and storage, but I doubt
this
> would work with the FT models on their long spindly stands.

FT ships are tall to the point of being top heavy, and they are massive.
You'd need a pretty strong magnet to hold them in place, even if the
stands weren't spindly and long.

I'm trying to figure this one myself. I'm leaning towards cutting out
soft foam in the shapes of the ships, and putting the foam in plastic
cases.

Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?