Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields (Was Real Shields) (long) Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:21:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 6:44 PM

> At 9:01 AM -0700 6/6/01, David Griffin wrote:
>

> >Doesn't this make for small ships in the
> >Tuffleyverse relative to some other genre
> >universes? A 250 Mass SDN would be 25,000
> >tons. I've seen various ships described in
> >various genres up to millions of tons.
>
> Not very big. I've already resigned myself to the principle that
> Honor Harrington SDNS are in the 2-3000 Mass realm in FT terms.
>

> >How much does a big carrier like the Nimitz
> >or a battleship like the New Jersey or the
> >Yamato weigh?
>

> The Iowas are 52,000 tons displacement, standard and 58,000 tons, full
load.

> The planned Montana class BBs (never built) would have been 65,000
> tons, standard and 70,500 tons, full load (12 18" guns over the Iowas
> 9)
>
> Bismark was 45,000 tons, standard and 51,000 tons full load.
>
> The Yamato's were 68,000 tons, standard and 71,600 tons, full load.
>
> Nimitz CVs run 81,600 tons, standard and 91,500 tons, full load.
>
> Mind you this is a measure of the weight of water that the ship
> displaces. It  is in effect the same thing, but it's not the "weight"
> of the ship.
>
> --
> - Ryan Montieth Gill		  DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
> - ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
> - rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com	       www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
> - '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

This is from memory, excuse me if I`m wrong.

The displacement is different for liners, merchants and warships. A
merchant`s mass/displacement is the cargo capacity, the liner is the
volume
times a mass level, and a military ship is the mass of the armour and
components installed.

Oh, a HH SD would have a mass of 75000 mass (YES, 75 thousand!!!) with
the
mass given in FT of 1 mass equals 100 tonnes. This is because the mass
of a
SD in HH is given at 7.5 million tonnes. There is also the mass of a
fortress is given at 16 million tonnes. The only problem given is that
someone worked out that the given masses for a HH SD is too low for the
volume given. The desity of a SD would be the same as styrofoam! Not
exactly
battlesteel is it?

 BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields (Was Real Shields) (long) Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays