Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept

[OT] SFB Fighter comment

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:47:22 -0400
Subject: [OT] SFB Fighter comment

I hear a few people piping up about how few
fighters were out there or how they were only
nuisance value. Holy smokes, but I must
disagree. Federation F-14s from the CVA or a
full carrier strike wing could majorly wreck
things, especially if the flight included A-10 or A-
20 attack shuttles and had good drone
loadouts. Not at all to be trifled with. I saw
them wreck large fleets of capships.

Of course, we often played in 20 cap ship
survivor style melees or in fleet battles with
2000-4000 points per side, sometimes with 3,
4, 5 or even 6 sides. One turn has been known
to take three hours :)

I myself (an inveterate klingon player) preferred
my larger fleets to have D6Ds, D7Ds (heavy
missile armed cruisers) with very extensive and
sophisticated drone mixes, a wrack of pseudo-
fighters (like Noam's stingboats) with warp
packs and good drones, D7B and Cs with
DERFACS for long range fire, and the
occaisional cloakes hip or mauler. A nasty
combination.

But our Feds almost always took CVAs with CC
and CAs as escorts and maybe a BC which had
IIRC 8 photon launchers.

And of course, we had Lyran players who loved
to turn on ESGs and plow through the Kzinti
fighter and drone waves....

To draw this vaguely back OT, any way to do
warp packs for FT fighters or stingboats? I
guess fast fighters cover that for the fighter
side. For the stingboat, I'd go so far as to
suggest an external mounting of a warp pack
(ie doesn't eat internal space) which adds (say,
to be arbitrary) 50% to your thrust value. The
downside is your engines make threshold tests
at -1 (more likely to fail) and ONE engine hit
destroys the entire main drive. I don't know
how I'd point this.... maybe some FT player
might have suggestions/alternatives/criticisms?

Tomb Raider.
Whose greatest SFB moment was annihilating a
Fed CC at range 4 after he missed a narrow
salvo of all his overloaded photons....

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept