Prev: fighter bases Next: [OT] SFB Fighter comment

Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:02:32 -0700
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Richard and Emily Bell wrote:

> Cargo is free?  Actually, I assumed that the "cargo" space occupied by
fighters
> would cost the same as a missile magazine of the same mass, due to the
> requirement for fighter handling equipment.
>
> Fighters in a cargo hold, as opposed to a magazine, would have to be
pushed into
> space, and then brought into the recover lock, which severely limits
the allowed
> maneuvering of the carrier (or the fighters drift off into space/smash
against
> the hull).

Actually this put what I invisioned while reading the idea better then I
could. Think of fighters as salvo missile rounds. You rotate a new load
into the bay, then launch, the reload. To recover you come in a
different way.

This kind of launching system would be space effective on a dedicated
fleet carrier then on small pocket carriers.

I'll see if I can come up with some numbers.

Jaime

Prev: fighter bases Next: [OT] SFB Fighter comment