Prev: [OT] SFB Fighter comment Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:11:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Proposal - Weapons Design System Concept

This is something that I have been tinkering with (off and on) for about
10
years now...  (mostly off)

Weapon Point System
 -- Allows the creation of weapons from the ground up.	Not mods.

Pros:
-- Makes designing balanced weapons easy (or easier).
-- Uber weapons become huge/expensive.
-- Adding a tech level system becomes easy.
-- Makes compairing weapons easier.

Cons:
-- Figuring out all of the modifiers.
-- Desiding how to deal with the decimals.
-- Doesn't seem to handle missle type weapons well.  (see below)

My basic formula:
-- Points = Weapon Range x Weapon Damage x Modifiers.
-- Size = Points / (divided by) Research level.
-- Cost = Size x 2  (I never got around to fixing this part.  Should be
different
    for different weapon types.  Lasers one value, machine cannon
another,
ect.)
-- For damage tables, just average the damage done per table entry.
-- I tend to use the same Research Level for every weapon that a nation
has.

Various mods I have thought of:
-- Very fast weapons (fires two or more shots per turn.)
-- Very slow weapons (Fires every second or third, ect. turns.)
-- Single shot weapons.  (one use and cross it off.)
-- Spherical effects. (Effects everything in a specified radius.)

Missles:
  These systems don't seem to handle missle type weapons very well.  (Or
any

multi-system weapon.)It doesn't reflect advances in engine tech, ect.
It
just costs
up the entire weapon.  Everyone knows missles have several components.
tend
to just use a "micro-scale" ship construction system to build missles.
You
know,
decimals!

Campain Ideas:
-- Give each player the same weapon points budget.  Let them design
their
entire weapon range...

Donald Hosford

Charles Taylor wrote:

> Ok, the WDA and all has got me thinking:
>
> How about a 'weapon design system' that takes the tried and tested
basic
> weapon systems (Beams, K-Guns, etc.) and allows them to be customised
> using a system of advantages and limitations (basic idea inspired by
> Hero system).
>
> For instance:

(snipped many interesting ideas)