Prev: Re: NEW US Timeline Next: Re: Alternate suggestions Re: Light up hallmark spaceships????

RE: OT: Oceanography stuff

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 06:20:34 -0500
Subject: RE: OT: Oceanography stuff

>  >From the back cover: "Seaworld. A
>  >guilt-ridden Earth had turned Cachalot
>  >over the few surviving cetaceans as a
>  >perpetual refuge - a planet whose
>  >surface was one great ocean, where
>  >the remnants of the whales, porpoises,
>  >and dolphins could pursue thier lives and
>  >perhaps even the development of an
>  >intelligence greater than man's. <more>"
>
> Thanks.... though the thought of successful transport and setting up a
> suitable supporting ecology seems like a truly Herculean task!!

It *is* science-fiction after all... <g>

>  >Not so much in that (though it's
>  >certainly an interesting idea), but the
>  >thought of Micro-Indo-Polynesian's
>  >seeking worlds that fit thier culture
>  >*and* that most other people don't want.
>
> The question being that if they had the opportunity of a world of
> their own
> would they necessarily want one that's mostly water with little if an
> arable land? I don't know just wondering.
>
> Beyond that I personally think most planets will have a mix of climate
> zones and that peoples from a nation with one kind of climate on
> Earth may
> not necessarily immediately head for that climate on planet X...
> then again
> maybe they will (??). It is a nice idea, just not sure if I agree
> with it ;)

The small human population of the planet make thier living via sea
harvesting IIRC and live on big floating cities. I also think that the
planet was supposed to be a bit of an anomoly by being all water...

>  >The book is a great read BTW.
>
> Cool, another one to add to the growing list!

Most (if not all come to think of it) of the Foster Commonweatlth Series
and
Flinx series (set in the Commonwealth) are well worth the time. He's
been
writing them for about 20 years now and they are light, easy reads.
*Not*
anything at all like military sci-fi at all...

> Thanks

Your welcome.

David

Prev: Re: NEW US Timeline Next: Re: Alternate suggestions Re: Light up hallmark spaceships????